Content security gateway market hits plateau; SaaS remains a bright spot
Campbell, CALIFORNIA, June 9, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 1st quarter 2014 (1Q14) Content Security Gateway Appliances, Software, and SaaS report, which tracks gateway software, gateway appliances, and SaaS (software-as-a-service).
"The content security product market started 2014 the way it ended 2013: staying within two points of flat quarter-over-quarter and year-over-year as money continues transitioning away from standalone web and mail hardware and software to hosted solutions and SaaS," notes Jeff Wilson, principal analyst for security at Infonetics Research. "Virtual appliances are starting to have an impact on the market as well."
CONTENT SECURITY MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The global content security gateway market, including appliances and software, is down 1% between 4Q13 and 1Q14, to $696 million
- Software accounted for just over a third of content security gateway revenue in 1Q14
- The see-saw between the top 2 vendors in the content security space continued in 1Q14: Blue Coat took 1st by a whisker, sending McAfee to 2nd
Software-as-a-service (SaaS) revenue for content security gateways reached $174 million in 1Q14, an increase of 26% over the year-ago quarter
- A key trend in SaaS is the deployment of mixed environments (both product and SaaS), presenting an opportunity for vendors to sell true hybrid solutions
- Infonetics expects the SaaS segment of the content security market to reach $1.2 billion in 2018, a 2013–2018 compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 15%
SECURITY ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL FOR CLIENTS
Clients, log in to watch Jeff Wilson's latest content security market recap and outlook: www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=898.
CONTENT SECURITY REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics' quarterly content security report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2018, analysis, and trends for content security gateway software (messaging, web/malware), gateway appliances (messaging, web/malware, integrated), and SaaS (messaging, web/malware). Vendors tracked: Barracuda, Blue Coat, Cisco, Citrix, McAfee, Microsoft, Proofpoint, SonicWall, Symantec, Trend Micro, Websense, others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.