Cisco gobbles SourceFire, gains share in network security market
Campbell, CALIFORNIA, March 19, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 4th quarter 2013 (4Q13) and year-end Network Security Appliances and Software report, which tracks integrated security appliances, secure routers, SSL VPN gateways, VPN and firewall software, and IDS/IPS products.
"Cisco completed its acquisition of Sourcefire in the fourth quarter of 2013, and in the process posted its highest security revenue quarter ever, gaining three points of market share," says Jeff Wilson, principal analyst for security at Infonetics Research.
Wilson continues: "The network security market nearly hit double-digit growth in 4Q13, and we expect growth to accelerate this year as service providers and enterprises increase security investment to improve security performance and keep up with a changing threat landscape."
NETWORK SECURITY MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The global network security appliance and software market grew 9.8% from 3Q13 to 4Q13, to $1.8 billion
- For the full year 2013, network security revenue totaled $6.4 billion, a 2.6% increase over 2012
- Integrated security products (integrated security appliances, secure routers, SSL VPN gateways, and VPN and firewall software) make up the majority of revenue
- Looking at the top 3 vendors' quarter-over-quarter (4Q13 vs 3Q13) performance, Cisco increased overall revenue 20%; Check Point had a typically strong 4th quarter, and Juniper posted its second consecutive quarter of growth
- Palo Alto Networks and Fortinet once again posted strong quarter-over-quarter and year-over-year growth in 4Q13, and are well positioned to continue gaining share
- Infonetics forecasts the worldwide network security market to reach $7.3 billion in 2018, a 2013–2018 CAGR of 2.5%
ANALYST NETWORK SECURITY CONFERENCE CALL FOR CLIENTS
Clients, log in to view on-demand Jeff Wilson's quarterly network security market recap and outlook: https://www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=897
Join analyst Jeff Wilson Mar. 20 at 11:00 a.m. EDT for Using Big Data Analytics to Amplify Security Intelligence, a live primer for enterprises and service providers looking to use big data to detect, mitigate, and prevent malicious attacks: http://w.on24.com/r.htm?e=752135&s=1&k=0982A14627EA5282D4986F686F78F03E
NETWORK SECURITY REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics' quarterly network security report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2018, analysis, and trends for integrated security appliances, secure routers, SSL VPN gateways, VPN and firewall software, and IDS/IPS products. Vendors tracked: Alcatel-Lucent, Array Networks, CA, Check Point, Cisco, Citrix, D-Link, Extreme Networks, eSoft, F5, Fortinet, GTA, HP, Huawei, Intrusion, ISS, Juniper, McAfee, NetASQ, Palo Alto Networks, SonicWall, Sourcefire, Stonesoft, WatchGuard, ZyXel, and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.